Old Friends - Old Activities and Holiday Meals

It was so much fun to spend a few hours with my dear friend, Liisa, and catch up on her life and activities. We didn't have nearly enough time together, but with the busy holiday season and her getting ready to go to the river for the holiday, a few hours were all we could manage.  But it was nice anyhow.

A few days later, I got to spend some fun time with friend and former across-the-street neighbor, Linda.  We had a great lunch at our favorite place, the Mongolian BBQ on Brookhurst Street.  We've had many a fun lunch there over the years and it was delightful to do it again.  Then we went to Ikea.... how much you miss the stores you were so used to when you live in a new area.  But, I've heard tell that an Ikea is coming to the Orlando area sometime in 2014.  I shall look forward to that.

Managed to find the red wine glasses I've been trying to replace for my daughter-in-law. I've broken quite a few of them over the past year, so I thought it appropriate to get her 6 new ones so we will have some nice wine glasses when I next visit.  Of course, I didn't bother thinking how was I going to get them from California to Texas when Ikea doesn't have shipping.  Thankfully, my daughter, Carisa agreed to pack them up and ship them out for me.

When we got back to Linda's, we went next door to my other fun and former across-the-street neighbor, Norma.  Norma is one of the loveliest, most interesting and caring neighbors anyone could ask for.  She is 91 years old and still going strong. Norma and I would have lovely times going for walks on the Huntington Beach pier and having frozen yogurt afterward in the many years I lived in Huntington Beach. I certainly hope when I get close to Norma's age I will be as active and "with it" as she is now.

I had not eaten as much read meat as I did over the holiday.  I am more a chick, fish and salad type of person.  Rarely do I eat red meat... OK, maybe a nice stake every 3 months or so, or less time than that actually.  It seems like this year everyone was thinking roast beef and that kind of thing.  Needless to say, it was wonderful and so well cooked.  I'm not a cook, never claimed to be and never WILL claim to be... but I love to eat and eating good food is the best.

Spent a lovely couple of evenings at son-in-law Darren's mother's home with all Darren's brother and sisters and spouses, child and friends.  Food and company were great.  Then Christmas dinner, which had become a frequent activity in years past, at Darren's dad Roger and wife Patricia's house. It was a lovely, quiet dinner with just Carisa, Darren, Devin, me, Roger and Patricia.  The wine flowed, the roast beef was scrumptious as was the rest of the meal and the conversation was fun.

Family activities were  in full swing over the holidays.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trains, buses and trains

Boxes, Blogs and Cold Weather

Circles in my Life