Back home again?

I have often wondered about the statement"back home."  Can one really go back home again after being away for a period of time?  Well, I'm sort of doing that and haven't really come to the conclusion if it's possible.

After several years of living in central Florida, and many months of putting aside a few dollars each month, and then the discussions on and off for a couple of years with my friend Judi, I made the choice to spend the summer months of July and August in the lovely mountain town of Oakhurst, CA staying at Judi's house.  So, in some respects I'm back home in that I'm back in the state of California for a couple of months.

The thing that surprised me the most was how "comfortable" I felt the moment I stepped out on the deck of Judi's house surrounded by big pine trees and whatever else kinds of trees there are here.  A feeling of calm, contentment and "being back home" overcame me.  Now, I'm not much of an uptight person but rather a laid back, what happens happens kind of individual.  But that feeling of being contented and "fitting in" was there again.  It isn't that I'm unhappy or discontented with living in Florida in the area where I now and for the most part will call "home" for the days and years to come.  It's just that same kind of feeling I felt when I first set foot in SoCal those so many years ago, of belonging and knowing this is the place I should be.  It's hard to understand without going into all the initial feeling of knowing I was "home" when I first came to SoCal.  I never wanted to leave but circumstances and finances made it have to become my reality.  But being back here for the first time in almost 6 years has made a big difference in my sense of being.

There's that feeling of knowing - "yes, this is where I belong and where I really feel at "home."

So, can one go "home" again, Yeah, I think in my case I've done it for the next couple of months.  I'm sure there will come a day when I feel it's time to get back in the saddle and make my way back to central Florida to my house, my cat, my friends and all the things and places I feel comfortable in Florida.  But for the next couple of months I'm going to enjoy this feeling of being back "home."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trains, buses and trains

Boxes, Blogs and Cold Weather

Circles in my Life