The Rain in Spain is not the same...

Nor is it the same in Florida.  Having lived in Southern California most of my adult life, I am used to rain, or usually lack there of, in California.  Not so in Florida where I now live.

In CA if it rains at all, it's during the raining season... it is a semi-arid desert there after all. The rainy season usually starts the week before or week of Thanksgiving in late November.  It can last till sometimes March but more likely late February.  I remember one year where it rained for 17 days straight in February.  That was really strange cause normally there is not that much sustained rain.  Also, January usually tends to be the best month in CA because it rarely rains and the temps are always warm. But back to rain.

When it does rain in CA especially Southern California, Huntington Beach specifically, it is usually a predictable kind of rain.  The weatherperson shows rain and gives you a day or two when it will happen. Sometimes it does, generally the last 5 or 6 years I lived there, it didn't rain.  But when it did, you could figure a good day's soaking or an over night soaking.  Might go on for overnight and then a few hours in the morning.  Of course it was always during heavy drive time.  Driving on the 405 Freeway anytime in the rain is a pain... and it doesn't feel like Spain.  But I digress. So you make plans months in advance and unless you don't look at the calendar, you can figure it's not going to rain during the day.

Since I've been in Florida and it's only been a few months and right before hurricane time, it's rained quite a bit. Well, it's gotten wet with rain but not for any prolonged time.  I guess it's more "scattered showers" than rain. All of a sudden the big fluffy white clouds will get dark.  You'll hear a loud rumble (no such thing in SoCal) and then it dumps rain.  However, it only lasts for a few minutes.  Since I've been here, it has only rained for a half hour, max, any time it's rained.

I've always loved rain, even as a kid growing up in the suburbs of Boston.  When I moved to CA it was strange not to have rain during the summer.  Then there were a few years in CA when it rained, and rained, and rained and rained.  That took a bit getting used to.  I finally got to figure out the El Nino and La Nina seasons and how they corresponded to the fire seasons.  When my kids were young and we got a nice rain on the occasional times during summer, we would walk in the puddles in our bare feet.  There were times when it was raining during the winter and I would go to the beach; stand on the pier; and watch the waves crash near the top with the rain coming down in buckets.

Now I'm going to experience rainy season that is during the summer months. Actually, hurricane season has started so I figure I'm going to see more rain than I'm used to.  Of course, I would rather not go through a hurricane... just the rains before or after, if that's the way it works.

There  is always something new to experience when you live in different parts of the country.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trains, buses and trains

Boxes, Blogs and Cold Weather

Circles in my Life