Recovery takes longer

Here I sit, with an ice pack on my left knee, recovering from the final knee replacement.  Generally, I don't make New Year's resolutions or those kinds of things but I tend to make goals throughout a year.  But I did make two specific goals for 2013 and I've accomplished both so far and we are only into the 3rd month of a new year.

My first and foremost goal was to get my left knee replaced so I could start to live a life pain-free from most physical activities.  I had been walking around on a badly damaged knee for almost 2 years, not being able to walk very much and being in constant pain.  In 2007 I had my right knee replaced and it was such a change in my lifestyle and how I did things.  That recovery seemed to go very well and within a month I was back to my regular life and walking with no pain or limitations.  Looking back on it and comparing it to this recovery I have to remember 2 very important things:  (1) I was 5 years younger and (2) I had spent 6 months prior to the surgery getting my muscles built up and ready for the trauma of replacement.

This time I didn't spend enough time building up the surrounding muscles of my left knee and tho I hate to admit it, my body is 5 years older and in less a state of good condition.  I've put on excess weight and with the magnitude of pain I had been carrying around I am not in the best of physical shape.

But that is going to change as soon as I start working on getting my knee back into shape, so goes my body.  I will have no excuse, other than being lazy, not to get into physical things and loose some of the excess weight.

I've decided to be kind to my body, listen to it when it screams, and start taking care of it much better.  It's the only one I have and now that I can state I have 2 new knees, there's no excuse but to get my body into the best physical shape it can be.

My other goal for 2013 was to find a place to live where I could enjoy my "golden years."  After having lived in Southern California for 44 years and spending most of my time in the outdoors, I wanted to live in some place where the weather was generally warm, the cost of living at a rate I could do it on retirement income and a place when there were lots of things to do and the ability to do them.  And I found that place.

With the help of my son, we bought a small 2 bedroom/2 bath house in the retirement community of The Villages in Lady Lake Florida.  I am in the middle of the middle of Florida.  I don't have the beach close by but I can get to it within a couple of hours, either the Atlantic side or the Gulf Coast side.  There is lots to do with golf being the predominant activity.  And who knows?  Maybe I might decide to take some lessons and learn how to play.  There are all kinds of different clubs and activities and I'm sure there is something that will challenge my mind and eventually my body.

The nice thing is there is such a sense of community here.  My neighbors, whom I have only known for a few months, have been so helpful and caring during my recovery time.  The few friends I've made have been thoughtful and giving also.  Not to say it wouldn't have been this way had I still been in SoCal but this is truly like living in a small village and knowing all the other inhabitants.  And, I can live on my retirement income.   I would say it's been warm but the last few days have been really cold but I know that will change by the weekend.

So my goals have been realized and tho I may complain about my recovery, it is progressing and I can eventually see daylight and the ability to resume an active lifestyle.  I just have to exert some patience.... something that has not  been an active part of my lifestyle till now but I'm beginning to learn.

So there is hope for me.....

Comments

  1. Be sure to be kind to your spirit too as you work your way back to full capacity. And beyond! I am glad you have support in your neighborhood, that is big and very necessary. Is the air cleaner? Good for you for hitting your 2013 goals. Now you can relax :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trains, buses and trains

Boxes, Blogs and Cold Weather

Circles in my Life