A Rainy Day in the Sun Room

I have a lovely sun room on the side of my house.  The room is relatively small, about 8 feet wide by 14 feet long.  It is right off the living room via a sliding glass door on the side that goes into the house.  The other 3 sides of the room are all windows/screens which can be opened by moving one or two sections. It's not the most efficient kind of windows/screens and the windows aren't glass but a type of glazed plastic.  Be that as it may, the room has an east view and gets sun from early morning till late afternoon.

Generally I have my breakfast in the sun room and it has been very comfortable.  I get to look out on the street and watch all the morning dog walkers.  Since I'm not an early riser by anyone's standards, by 10:00 or 10:30 AM when I'm having breakfast, there are just a few walkers.  One morning I was sitting there at 7:30 AM and could not believe all the people and all the dogs walking up and down the street.  Cali, my ever faithful Calico/Minx cat companion when there is sunlight anywhere, just sat on the couch and enjoyed the view and only ran away when one of the few big dogs in the daily parade seemed to know a cat was around and came on the lawn toward the window and let out a good bark.  After doggie was reigned in and back to street walking, Cali returned and enjoyed the view as much as I did.

A few days ago, we had some high winds, sometimes heavy rains and lots of thunder and a few lightening flashes.  The temperature was in the low 80's and the humidity was pretty high but I took the window sections off the door to the outside and let the breeze blow in.  It was very cool to be sitting in relative comfort, drinking my tea, watching the big palm tree in the front of the house blowing back and forth and making kind of a melodic sound.  Then there would be a big clash of thunder and the rain would come pouring down for a few minutes.  But I felt nice and cozy in my chair, reading my book and drinking my tea.

As a former Southern Californian for about 40+years, I am used to living in the outside.  Having my sun room allows me to do that even in inclement weather.  I particularly like the fact that I can sit outside, sort of, and still be comfortable even in rainy weather.  I am really looking forward to a day when we have a real hard and constant rain day.  I will be able to take it all in but still be dry and warm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trains, buses and trains

Boxes, Blogs and Cold Weather

Circles in my Life